Wednesday, January 26, 2011

So Long "4SOU222" =(

The time has finally come for me to become an official California resident again.  With that, I had the privilege of spending 2.5 hours at the DMV today, lucky me!  It really wasn't too bad considering I needed my license, registration, and title all done in one shot.  


When I moved to NJ back in 2006, I had a feeling that Pat and I would someday move back west.  When it came time for me to register my car out there, I made sure to hold on to both of my plates thinking I would be able to use them once I was a CA resident once again.  Boy, was I wrong!


A little side note is needed here...I know it might seem crazy to post about the loss of my car's plate.  The thing is this was the plate to my first car, the one I have had since graduating high school.  My plate just had a certain flow to it and it was easy to remember.  Who wouldn't love "4 Sou (like Sue) 222!?"  I kept both plates in the trunk of my car for over 4 years just for the purposes of today.  So, it was a bit of a let down to know that it would no longer be my plate.


**Just received my new plates (March 22), and I may have exaggerated a bit on the below paragraph...oops!  Normal Cali plate for me!
Another horrible part of this is I now will have a plate that no longer fits the typical California car license plate.  For those of you who don't know, a Cali plate typically has had one number, three letters, then three numbers.  It was unique to California and now I will no longer be a part of that.  The new system has 5 numbers, one letter, one number...How boring!!!  So in honor of my long, lost plate...here it is.




The exciting part of today was getting a California license again.  It is kind of weird to have a "Temporary" paper license again.  I feel like I am a teenager again not having a "real" license.  (though I am not complaining!)  The good news is the CA DMV did allow me to keep my DL number I had 4 years ago...thank goodness!  Now the only difference is I will get the spiffy (that's right, I said spiffy!) new license with fluorescent pics, raised signatures, and whatever else they came up with.  Too bad I have to wait 30-60 days for it.  Here is my temporary license, with the important info blocked out. =)




So, finally I am officially a Californian again and can now will be able to prove it in about a month, with a real id that is!  

2 comments:

  1. I remember coming back from Kentucky and going through all of that, what a pain! I have both of my Kentucky plates hanging in the garage. I had to say good bye to my Honda civic that I had from college about 6 months ago. That was a sad, sad day. I miss that car!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I get my new plates my Jersey ones will probably go in the garage as well! I think my car will last a few more years, hopefully!

    ReplyDelete